Our ancestors’ livers and their kidneys were highly efficient at carrying out proper elimination and detoxification of harmful by-products from their bodies. In contrast, our modern lifestyles and ever-present environmental hazards have placed a greater burden on our gastrointestinal/GI system. These have contributed to the host of digestive and other health related problems that we typically experience.
Colon Cleansing Foods Benefits
Eating different kinds of colon cleansing foods can help flush out toxins that are harmful to your body. If you find yourself constantly suffering from a lack of energy, foggy thinking, constipation, bloating, body odors, fungal or other infections and disorders, you might have a build-up of toxins within your body.
Where do the Toxins Come From?
Toxins enter our bodies from a variety of different sources.
– Undigested foods
– Overgrowth of yeast and bacteria
– Out-of-control stress
– Pesticides, insecticides and herbicides
– Vehicle exhaust
– Over-processed foods
– All types of drugs
– Food additives
– Fast foods
– Antibiotics and hormones
With all these toxins bombarding our bodies, it is important that we help to relieve the toxin burden by undertaking a colon cleanse or detoxification program.
In addition, we can make permanent dietary changes that incorporate colon-friendly foods that assist our livers and kidneys in the detoxification process, and help to keep our colons clean.
Types of Colon Cleansing Foods
Fiber-rich foods: Soluble and insoluble fiber is vital for a healthy colon. A diet that is high in fiber supports the gastrointestinal system by encouraging regular and easy bowel movements as well as timely removal of harmful metabolic by-products. Foods high in fiber include:
– Fruit such as apples, berries, cherries and kiwis
– Grains such as oats, rye and barley: Oats are particularly useful for binding with other substances to facilitate the elimination process through the digestive system
– Whole grain rice
– Beans and peas
– Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, turnips, carrots and beets
– Seeds such as flax, chia, pumpkin and sesame: Their soluble fiber contain unique properties that aid the cleansing process
– Garlic: It has many health benefits, and it also aids digestion and cleansing
Foods rich in chlorophyll: Green foods contain chlorophyll, which assists in cleaning the colon and detoxifying the liver. Excellent sources of chlorophyll-rich foods include:
– Swiss chard, cabbage, Brussels sprouts
– Collard Greens, spinach, celery and leeks
– Green olives
Fermented foods: Our digestive system relies on a variety of beneficial bacteria to function properly. They help the body to digest food, thwart the over-proliferation of harmful bacteria and eliminate toxins.
Processed foods, environmental chemicals and antibiotics can cause our internal flora to be thrown off balance. However, we can help to restore the balance by eating fermented foods that increase the number of friendly bacteria in our intestines. Fermented foods include:
– Fish is easy to digest, and it is rich in omega-e fatty acids
– Drink plenty of purified/filtered water to prevent dehydration, and to assist the digestive process
– Apple cider vinegar diluted with water: Apples and apple cider vinegar contain pectin, which assists in the removal of heavy metals from the body
– Lemon juice: A daily glass of lemon juice helps with cleansing and detoxification
– Fermented kombucha tea
– Green teas
– Almond milk: This is an ideal substitute for cow’s milk, which causes sensitivities in some individuals
– Coconut milk: The texture is creamy like cow’s milk, but it contains less saturated fat
Foods to Avoid
Whenever possible, try to eliminate or reduce your consumption of the following foods, beverages and unhealthy habits that will impair the detoxification/cleansing process:
– Black tea
– Processed and packaged foods
Should You Add Colon Cleansing Foods?
The benefits of undertaking a colon cleanse or detoxification program are many. You will reduce the toxin burden on your liver and kidneys. You will lose some weight. Your hormones will become more balanced, and your whole internal system will run smoothly for optimum health and wellness.
You can maintain the results of your colon cleanse by undertaking a detoxification regime two or three times per year, and regularly eating the clean and health-giving foods from the list above.
We highly recommend our readers to consume colon cleansing foods on a regular basis if they want to rid their body of toxins. Not only will you feel healthier but overtime you will look healthier as well.